Thursday, February 16, 2006

Classic Kid Conversations

There are four children in my preschool class: George, Yuu, Ryou, and Reina (who is the only girl). The following is a conversation I had today with my preschool class during lunch. To set the stage, George has just said something in Japanese that made everyone laugh and Reina the hardest and wouldn't stop:

Liz: Reina, what’s so funny?
Reina: I don’t know.
George: Yuu!
Liz: Yuu is funny?
George, Reina and Ryou: Yes!
At the same time Yuu yelled: No! Liz is funny!
Liz: I am funny?
Yuu: Yes.
Liz: Why am I funny?
Yuu: Face
Liz: I have a funny face?
Yuu: Yes. (and other children begin to laugh again)
Liz: What makes my face funny?
Yuu: Ears.
Liz: Ears?
Yuu: Yes. (more laughter)
Liz: I have funny ears, what makes my ears funny?
Yuu: Lion.
(Everyone laughs, I couldn’t help but join in)
Liz: I have lion ears?
Yuu: Yes
*Conversation ends*

I have lion ears? Who knew?

A little while later Reina looked at me and said "omoshiroi". I asked Kayko about it. She says the word in that situation is/could mean "You make me happy" or "I like being with you" or "Being with you is interesting/fun". It was an interesting noon hour.

Word Up: Omoshiroi –interesting, funny. The word has a positive connotation. Depending on the use it could mean "you make me happy" or "you make me laugh".

4 comments:

matthew said...

delightful

Xaven said...

Yes, Liz, you are oesterizer.... or whatever that word was.... hrmmm ... oesterizer is a blender, not sure that you are a culinary appliance.

Amy said...

thanks for making me laugh out loud today, Liz!

it was even funnier at first because I jumped to the conversation (that's what caught my eye) before reading the introductory paragraph carefully--so they're saying "Yuu" is funny and I think they mean "YOU, Liz" are funny--and then in jumps another kid, "Yuu!"

Don't know why but that struck me as hilarious :) And then the picture of you as a lion--great.

Elizabeth said...

I could become a culinary appliance. It might be fun to be a blender. Or maybe it could be a new cool dance. Look she's doing the oexterizer

Amy, Yuu makes teaching English interesting. Some times I say "Ryou will you please..." and Yuu does it thinking I was talking to him. There has been great confusion which causes me great amusement.

Matthew, thanks