Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Traditions and Holidays


Happy St. Valentine’s to you, which is a very Japanese/Engrish way of saying it. (Or International Toater Day for the more cynical).
To celebrate I’ve posted some pictures from December. The day of our Christmas play I lacked a camera because I was silly and forgot to pick up batteries (with no time to run to the nearest vending machine). Wise people who had cameras and batteries have recently shared their photos with me.

The day was surprisingly wonderful for me. I got flowers! Before anyone jumps to conclusions they are not from a “special someone”. George, one of my preschool boys gave them to me with some help from his mother. Yesterday, Tiffany and I got together and baked shortbread and sugar cookies for the preschool Valentine’s day party and this morning I made some pink playdough my students. The children had fun eating their goodies, making a few crafts, and exchanging cards. Then tonight, my friend Hitomi came over for supper and a Japanese lesson. She taught me to say, “could you say that again?”


In Japan, Valentine’s Day is the girl’s day to give out chocolates to boys. The boys might just be friends or people they have a crush on. For the last week different students have been asking me which boy I was sending chocolates to. Then on March 14th is “White Day”. Boys repay the girls by sending marshmallow gifts or jewelry. An unspoken rule is the present given should be three times what the girl gave, I think that’s a little unfair.

Word Up: Mo ichido onegai-shimasu –could you say that again?

4 comments:

Amy said...

how cute is that little boy who gave you flowers!! aww! :)

Elizabeth said...

yeah, that's George. and in the background is Ryou trying to get in the picture

The Stiffs said...

One of my student's Valentine's tradition is that his wife makes him hamburg. I'm not sure if that means he gets hamburgers or just ground beef in gravy. Japanese people call everything hamburg.

"Hey you, nice hamburg!"

It's just like that.

In any case, I really appreciate this man's family tradition. I think that women in North America should also make hamburgers for their special someone on Valentine's day. Forget all the pink cards, flowers, and chocolates. Valentine's is too corporate already, let's get back to the beef!

Elizabeth said...

And punch in the face to you dear cousin