Monday, January 29, 2007

Tsotsi

Tsotsi n. thug, gangster, hoodlum

I have struggled to write a decent explanation of this movie. I made the mistake of reading two other synopses first. Their words are far superior. The official website says:

Set amidst the sprawling Johannesburg township of Soweto - where survival is the primary objective -TSOTSI traces six days in the life of a ruthless young gang leader who ends up caring for a baby accidentally kidnapped during a car-jacking.
The movie is rated R and defiantly not forever one. Another downside, for some, is that the movie is subtitled. These two factors aside the movie is worth seeing. It is about hope, redemption, and second chances. To see the fullness of change you have understand the world Tsotsi comes from. In the face of his harsh reality the whole story is beautiful. At first I wasn't able able to say that. The night I saw it I was disappointed and a little distressed. I have thought about the story since. It now holds hope I missed the at first.

No comments: