Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Fun and Fireworks

Spent the evening with Yoko and her family. Good times. There was a great food and huge fireworks show. The only downside of the night was walking up the hill to their apartment and returning home after. Stairs are still my ultimate nemesis…and I found two new blisters. I think it was thought it.

One of my favourite parts of learning Japanese is use of foreign words. They sound so close yet so different. For example cheese becomes cheezu, coffee become co-he, Liz becomes ri-zu. Yoko shared with me that on trip to America she brought a music box for her sister and American brother-in-law as a gift. After opening the gift she was asked what it was. She said "It’s a orugooru" which is Japanese for music box. They didn’t understand which surprised Yoko because she thought orugooru had come from English. With that idea she tried again, time using her best English inflection and said: "all-gold". Classic language fun.

Word Up: Enjoy-ta Kudasai –a mix of English and Japanese to request you to enjoy, please.

5 comments:

Maki said...

I enjoyed with Michihito too.
That's beautiful!!

Did you wear yukata?
I didn't.

Elizabeth said...

I didn't either.

matthew said...

was it as 'close up' as the fireworks in china?

Elizabeth said...

no, i was actually really far away. I think they were in the next city over.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP neurontin