Monday, July 31, 2006

Sunrise, Sunrise


Just got in from my two-day adventure up Mt. Fuji. It seems like it was all a dream, so surreal, except the pain keeps reminding me how real it was. I feel every jolt in ways I never imagined. Thoughts from the trip: I loved the parts were you need your hands to scramble over the rocks. I hate lose gravel. And stairs are my new nemesis.

July 30 began with a rocky start. I had over slept and woke up at 6am to Hideki calling to say they were ready to pick me up. Dressed and packed in five minutes. I was so out of it that when I jumped into the car Hideki asked where my glasses were I had totally forgotten them. The rest of the trip only improved. The woman sitting next to me on the bus was a God-sent she is Korean and speaks four languages including Japanese and English so she translated all the information for me. We arrived at Station 5 at 4pm ate supper and started to climb at 6pm. There were a group of Nova teachers also on the group tour so I climbed with them, Yeah for other foreigners! Arrived at station 8 around 10:30. We were suppose to crash for three hours. I couldn’t sleep then there was a mix up over which group was to leave at 12:30 so were got up a whole hour early. To pass the time the Nova boys had a farting contest. 2am we set out for the last leg of the upward journey. My thoughts of that time bitter cold and grueling. So thankful it didn’t rain. Saw a beautiful sunrise and arrived on the top of Fuji around 5:20. Looked around for about 20 minutes before the descend. It was so much faster going down but harder on the knees and joints. And arrived at the bottom at 9am. It was an awesome bang to finish my year in Japan. The next four days will be spent in packing and good-byes. Home is just around the corner.

5 comments:

The Stiffs said...

Hey Liz
We knew you could do it!! Way to go!
You look freezing at the top! How cold was it? Talk about a temperature change from Osaka on the ground to the top of the mountain eh?
We are safely back home, and it is wonderful. Have a good last couple of days finishing up.

Amy said...

Wow Liz, that sounds like an amazing trip!!! I'd love to see Mt. Fuji someday!

I hope your packing & trip home goes smoothly. I wish I was in NS to hear about your year away. I'll be praying for a safe trip home for you.

Take care,
Amy (& Just)

Maki said...

Wow!!!Beautiful!!
Is the top of mountain cold?

Elizabeth said...

Tiff and Steve.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I thought of you while climbing. Prayed that none of your bags got lost. Oh yes, very cold. When Kayoko heard I didn't pack a towel she had me buy one. Turned out to be a good thing cause I forgot to bring a hat. Blue towels can be very warm.

Amy hello, good to hear from you. Excited to see you've joined bloggdom. It won't be the same without you and Justin around.

Maki,
Yes, it was cold. It was a mix of the time of night, the hight, and the wind. But it was beautiful at the top.

Public Announcment: Maki has a blog. There is a link in the sidebar. Check it out.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »