Sunday, January 08, 2006

Home Sweet Home

Early morning on January 5th Jen and I arrived back in Sayama after two exciting days in Tokyo. As we walked home from the train station, I looked around at the familiar sights took a deep breath in and thought “it’s good to be home!” This feeling surprised me because it’s the first time I truly felt that I belonged in Japan. Before this moment of “home-ness” Grace was just the place I lived and worked. My heart and hopes were focused on Canada and what I would do when I got back. I only thought of this time as a temporary situation. I still miss friends and crave certain foods but this is my home and will be for the next seven months. I am excited by my change in attitude and am even looking forward to trying hard at language, trying more new foods, and building deeper relations. My love for Japan and it’s people is growing. I guess it’s true what they say home is where the heart is. (Mom, if you read this I still long to sit with you in the backyard on the swing! See you in seven months.)

Word Up: nana or shichi -seven

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sorry Cuz, I guess you didn't get the meno

Rachael said...

Liz,

There are times when I feel like a space in my heart holds Osaka as "home"...in some weird way. Japan has its way of leaving its mark....