Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Cultural Taboos

It is to be expected that Japan will have a different set of expectations and rules of public conduct then North America. Like you don’t point with chopsticks, take your shoes off when you enter a home, and bowing instead of shaking hands when you great. Also means that there are different cultural faux pas and taboos (things you just don’t do).

I recently learned that blowing your nose in public is one of these “no-nos”. To the point others are embarrassed and feel uncomfortable if they see someone blowing their nose. The closest comparison I can think of is watching an adult picking his nose in public in western culture. No one told me about the “not blowing your nose rule” so over the last three months I have no clue how many people I have offended. (Friend -* I suck at this game*)

Word Up: Go -five

7 comments:

Xaven said...

You can always pull the ignorant North American card... did you know that was culturally/ socially unacceptable?

Probably not.

You don't suck at this game... you just haven't figured out the rules of the game yet ;) You'll learn. We're all proud of you, Friend. Stick with it

Elizabeth said...

Great to know Chad, cause I sneeze all the time. Hate allergies!

thanks for the support friend! tried a little starcraft last night. I have no clue why you like the protoss. they drive me crazy!

Xaven said...

mmmm - Protoss... Friend, we need to play that some time soon

Elizabeth said...

I love being Zerg!

Anonymous said...

It's all about the Humans and Protoss. Zerg go squish!

Elizabeth said...

Well, you have good sense after two times playing. But don't mind humans. Its all about the siege tanks

Elizabeth said...

Sweet, i am stuck on the second level of the Protoss campaign. Oh, how i hate Protoss, they are the bane of me finishing this game!