Monday, April 02, 2007

Struggle to Pray

Jesus to the Nations was exciting yet discouraging at the same time. There were so many organizations and mission fields represented. Hearing the stories of what God was doing was so good but there was such a sense of need and support. Just the number of groups asking for prayer overwhelmed me. The number of groups, people, countries to pray for fills me with dread of failure. My response to the stress is to avoid praying for things, which is horrible and not logical. Does anyone else have that struggle? I get so upset with myself about it too that I want to hide my head in the sand. I guess I can take encouragement from that kid on the beach with the thousand of starfishes…throwing back what he could.

Talking with a rep from…I don’t even remember what group she was from, the subject of prayer came up. It was good for me to hear her say that in the face of all these noble organizations it is important to prayerfully select the one or two. Shortly after that I was visiting the OMS table and saw a 30-day prayer guide for China. I think I can do 30 days…baby steps, starting today. Today’s focus is:

The Resurrection of the Church*. In 1949 the number of Protestant believers was less then one million. Today there are about 50,000 churches and groups legally meetings as well as countless house churches. The number of registered, adult Protestants is nearing 20 million. Almost everyday a new church opens. Praise God for his hand on the Chinese church and China’s recent history. Praise God for the faithful Chinese believers and for there costly witness. May God continue to pour out blessing on the Chinese.

*From the OMS publication Pray for China by Tony Lambert

2 comments:

matthew said...

I meant to comment on this post before. Anyways, I also am glad to hear the 'pray for 1 or 2' approach. Since we live in such an individualistic society, we EACH think we are responsible for everything. In reality, we each play only a part.

What did Don Richardson talk about?

Elizabeth said...

Don spoke three times, hard to wrap up three hours into 50 words or less. The first was an intro to the concept presented in eternity in their hearts. Second time was the Peace Child story. Last was about the Lords of the Earth book, I might have the wrong title.