Tuesday, January 09, 2007

More Talking and New Features

I want to thank everyone who joined in on the "Yes Lord, Send Me" discussion. The lack of single men in global missions is a growing concern and as Matthew pointed out a reflection of men’s church involvement in general. I wonder if the emphasis is put on compassion ministries and orphans outreach gives the impression that cross-cultural ministry "woman’s work"?


Two of the new features I am adding to And to the Ends of the Earth is a missions book of the month and a country focus. Links can be found on the sidebar (it took me awhile to figure out how to make them look right. I did a victory dance when I was done. Not really but I thought about doing one). January’s book is Nelson Mandela’s autobiography Long Walk to Freedom. I am about half thr the book. It is long but worth the read. I have been challenged and inspired. Before the end of the month I hope to share a few thoughts and insights I have gained. During my flight back to Halifax I sat next to a young boy whose family was moving to South Africa. We chatted about what he thought it where they would live and what he thought it would be like. It brought back fond memories of my internship in the near by Kingdom of Swaziland. I got an email from a Swazi friend asking how my Zulu was. I must sadly say horrible. I think I could still say yes. During that same flight I was able to walk the South Africa film Beat the Drum, the journey of a Zulu boy for truth. It was these little things and reading of Mandela that lead to my decision that South Africa would be January’s country focus.

1 comment:

matthew said...

Elizabeth, I am impressed by the look and the content of this blog. Good job!