Monday, January 22, 2007

Beat the Drum

Beat the Drum follows the journey of a young Zulu boy in search of his uncle. It is a reflection of a culture dealing with the devastating affects of the AIDS epidemic while showing both the misconceptions and shame families and villages are facing. I first heard about the movie on my internship. It was being shown in Swazi high schools as an educational tool to open discussions on the subjects of sex, AIDS, and abstinence. At the time we were unable to get a hold of a copy. I was surprised this Christmas on my flight home when given the option to watch the movie. I found it beautiful. Just seeing the African country side, hearing bits of Zulu, and watching the story unfold was a joy. It is not the fast paced cinematography we are used to from Hollywood, somewhat predictable, and half the movie is subtitled. If you can handle those "downsides" I say it is a worth watching, if you can find somewhere to rent it.

2 comments:

matthew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
matthew said...

the trailer looks pretty good. i wonder if it is available on netflix