Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Day 2: S is for Site-Seeing, Sore feet, and Starbucks

Our lodging was the World Friendship Center. It’s a quaint bed and breakfast. If you’re ever thinking about a trip to Hiroshima I would suggest checking it out. It are co-directed by Don & Pauline Hess. Pauline made a wonderful breakfast!

We spent the morning at the Peace Park, peace memorial museum, and the A-bomb Dome. Walked along Aioibashi Bridge, which was the intended targent on August 6th. The whole experience set a sorrowful tone to the morning. It will be make a post of its own.

In my sorrow and reflection it was a group of jr. high girls that brought me hope. As I was taking pictures of the Children’s monument they just came up to me and to say hello. I was in a sea of faces. Most of the girls were the same height or taller then me so I couldn’t see Steve or Tiff. Talking with them was fun. They just made me smile, even giggle at times Their English was pretty good so they told me their names, age, here they are from, and things they like. They asked me where I was from, what I do, my name, age, and if I had been to Miyajima. Good times.

Hiroshima is famous for its own version of Okonomiyaki known as Hiroshimayaki. Normal okonomiyaki cabbage pancake kept together with flour and egg with your choice of meat –octopus, squid, shrimp, or pork. The Hiroshima difference is they also add noodles (ramen or udon). We asked directions to a good yaki shop and we were not disappointed. We arrived at a three-floor building of okonomiyaki shops. The meal was so good!

After lunch and a bit of window-shopping we stopped at Starbucks. Oh wonderful bliss. Then we rushed back to the bus terminal to catch our ride home to Osaka. I didn’t think I would have a chance to see Hiroshima Castle, it wasn’t near where we were exploring. But as the bus was leaving the city I was able to snap a picture while at a red light.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Man, I wish I had gone to see more stuff when I was in Japan. BUT someday I will go back:)

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»