Thursday, March 30, 2006

Glass of Aloe and Fun Facts

I’ve used aloe of sunburns but a healthy drink?

There was recently an editorial all about Japan’s vending machines. I found it an enjoyable and amusing, here are some of the highlights:

-Japan has 5.5 million vending machines. I’ve been told that is about 1 machine for every 24 people, that’s crazy
-Only 2.6 million sell pop (or soda depending on where you’re from)
-There are machines that sell sushi, soup, and meals with beef, eggs, and fish
-Some machines are programmed to give for free if there is a natural disaster such as an earthquake
-"My Cups" machines let people use their own mugs and reduces waste
-There is even a trail machine for make-up. The thing talks and has a video camera inside. An image of the person is shown to "mock test" which lipsticks are the best
-Like all these cool facts you can read about vending machines in the book "Jido Hanbaiki no Bunka (The Culture of Vending Machines)" by Tsutomu Washizu

6 comments:

Sarah Gomez said...

haha - some of those are really funny - I especially appreciate the machines that are programmed to give free food. Cause *that* will last for a long time when there are 132,000,000 people (5.5million x 24) are trying to eat out of them.

Xaven said...

That brings a whole new meaning to "convenience."

jen said...

Just found this:
http://www.photomann.com/japan/machines/
Interesting!

Xaven said...

Speaking of Aloe drinks... I found this one at the Amish grocery store once that was called Aloe-llujah! It was so gross talking...

CAG_fourth said...

Thanks Liz--you really just told me anything I ever wanted to know about vending machines! (By the way--I love ya)

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz, I have missed your blogging!