Saturday, February 11, 2006

Tongues, New Food, and Half Way


Today was the half way marker; Melvin the Moose and I have been in Japan six-months and have six to go. It feels like days and weeks are flying by. At times I still feel like I’ve only just arrived yet other days it seems like I’ve lived here forever and Canada was just a dream.

Part of the reason it still feels new that almost every day I am learning something new about the culture or language. This week I was introduced to a Japanese desert called dango. There are three balls served on a small stick (like a shish kabob). One is pink and cherry flavor; the second is white not sure what the flavor was suppose to be but it was good. And the last ball is green for sweet grass.

For the most part I love Japanese food but there have been a few things I don’t like. The same day I tried dango, I confirmed that I have a strong dislike for mochi. It’s a very strong dislike close to detest. Mochi is a soft, mushy, rice paste. The type that I had was filled with sweet, red beans. The taste is okay but the texture is makes me gag.


This week I also tried some Korean foods. There was a rice-thing cooked in a stone bowl, and beef grilled on a BB-Q built in the table. I ate cow tongue. The thought of eating a tongue was actually the hardest part. It was surprisingly very good, tasted like beef just chewier.


Word Up: Gochisosama deshita –It was a nice meal

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I had trouble eating the tongue. You're right, it tastes the same, but texture is everything to me...ack...chewing on a tongue..weird..ha.

here in vancouver I go to a restaurant downtown once in awhile. Its Korean Japanese called Shabusen Yaki Niku. I love cooking my meat on the grill in the table like that..and its all you can eat for 20 bucks...all the japanese and korean food I want for 20 bucks.. Oishi Desu!!

Amy said...

great picture, Liz! :)