Friday, December 16, 2005

Language Troubles

When I first arrived Hideki gave me a beginner’s language book. I only made it though the first chapter. Picking it up on my own between teaching hasn’t really been working so I asked Hitomi to help. We met together this past Tuesday. What does it mean when your language teacher laughs at you? She did at least three times that I can recall. Not that I blame her I made some big mistakes. Even with the laughter I enjoyed myself and no tears were shed during the lesson (or after).

Tonight went to Macdonald’s. Was able to communicate that I wanted take out. Thought I communicated combo six and that I wanted L-size-u. (Which is a funny thing. The drinks are M-size-u or L-size-u, aka medium and large respectively. But most people don’t seem to realize the letters come from English.) After I place my order the nice cashier asks me something which I didn’t understand. For what felt like the next five to ten minutes (reality it was probably only one or two) she ties different ways to communicate her question and I just wasn’t getting it. So in frustration I pull out my cell and call Hideki, explain my confusion and ask him to talk with the girl. She has been trying to confirm my order of six hamburgers…I only wanted one. After passing the phone back a few times the order was all sorted out and I was on my way with my combo six. Yeah for Hideki!

Word Up: Roku -six

8 comments:

Warrior said...

Oh Liz, I can so relate. I had a ten minute conversation with the Electric guy that came to my house last night, except in those ten minutes only a few sentences were said. Keep plugging away with it. You're not gonna get it over night, but the key is that YOU CAN learn it, if you keep at it. You're a smart girl. I'm praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz, I defintly understand the language troubles. Before learning Thai I would get really frustrated at not being able to communicate. I foud out though Every tiem I made a mistake (which was alot) I learned somthing more about teh language. After 6 months I still make many mistakes (like calling a girl VERY UNLUCKY instead of pretty) but I keep learning. Hang in there.

Xaven said...

When I was in India two and half years ago, I remember Vrooman was trying to say that his name was danger or something like that... he ended up saying "My name is toilet." A glorious moment.

Don't worry Friend, even if did make the mistake of getting six hamburgers, you would have had quite the snack later on!

Glad it all worked out.

matthew said...

hehe.

it's ok. i can't even understand american mcdonalds employees.

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz...it's Roni Orser!!!!!! Jen gave me your blog address! How are you girl????????

Robin said...

That's funny, funny crap, Liz.

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz!!!
we miss you so bad! you're so fun and interesting and I am LOVING your entries!!

YOU ROCK!

*hugs*

Missy said...

Liz, I can't really share any embarrassing stories of another language, but I have my share of stupidity in English. But I'm too embarrassed to share them here. Just know that I sympathize! I love you...