Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Lions and Tigers and Bears!


Lions....and Tigers...and Bears!


Oh my! Today we took my preschool class on a field trip to the zoo. Great times had by all, very tired but a good day. It is hard to keep track of four children (even with five adults present). Moms are truly unsung heroes!

A cultural observation: Japanese parents do not call their children’s names in public…especially not loudly. If the parent wants the child to come they don’t yell out “Tommy come!” they go get the child. If a child is doing something inappropriate the parent will either let them keep on with the activity or go an quietly get them to stop. Tiffany and I stood out because we were continually saying the children’s names.

Highlights:
- The children making me laugh. They were more excited to pick up leaves and chase butterflies then seeing the animals.
- Seeing emus, what a fun word.
- Feeling like one of the animals on display. Okay not really a highlight but it did happen. A boy about nine years old walked over and just stared at me…really close to my face (maybe he was trying to count my nose hairs?) till his parents came over apologies. I felt like I should do a tick or something.
- The nap after the field trip was over.
- Tiffany and Steve’s pictures and comments about the day on their blog. (Friend there is an obscure Napoleon reference I made that got quoted, you should check it out.)

Word Up: Itakdakimasu –I am eating, said right before a meal with feelings of thanksgiving and joy

2 comments:

Xaven said...

Nice... liking the Liger reference

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, I thought you would