Monday, October 10, 2005

Kyoto

Highlights from the day are:
- Nijo-jo Castle, the home (palace) of the shogun (samurai-lord) back in the day. History facts: Shogun ruled during the Edo period known as the golden era in Japan, ended about 400 years ago. The floorboards were built so that they would squeak –ancient home security. The murals were gorgeous sadly cameras were forbidden.
- The Golden Pavilion. Originally built as a home, it was later turned into a Buddhist temple. The top two floors of which are covered in gold leaf. It was very shinny!
- The koi (goldfish) living in the pond around the Golden Pavilion were fun to watch.
-Last stop was a famous Zen Garden. It felt anti-climatic. As I sat looking at the monks lines in the sand I started reflecting on how full God’s has made my life. He does not ask me to empty myself, but fills me with himself. Ended up with a very personal God-moment. For that I am thankful

All our sightseeing seems to be at religious sites, either Buddhist or Shinto. Not sure how I feel about it. The sites are beautiful and apart of Japanese culture. Majority of the popular historic sites are temples or shires. In that sense I have no problem with visiting. But there are moments that I feel a sense of…creepyness and darkness. That doesn’t happen often, most of the time I feel indifferent. Other times I even feel peaceful, tranquility and a sense of beauty.
In those moments I can see the lure of Buddhism. You can take a break at a temple and forget all cares, worries, and things you strive for. With some cash you can get pre-prayed prayers, good charms, and fortunes. All these things bring temporary hope and freedom. They help quiet the aching soul and hunger for something transcendent for a time. But only for a time…in the end it is all empty.

Word Up: Genki –energy. Also used to ask the question "how are you?" Genki desu ka?

No comments: